Small commuter focused layout?
shortliner Wrote:Can I suggest some possible solutions to your problem - all from Carls site - BTW Hopefully updated soon - #44 Passenger Inglenook. #26 Wrinkle, Folding way terminal in shelf switchers "passenger lines" + some others in the same section <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://carendt.us/microplans/pages/shelf/passenger/index.html#5">http://carendt.us/microplans/pages/shel ... dex.html#5</a><!-- m -->

Might make an interesting layout, though I don't think any of the models I own could really fit in there and still be able to move around.

That said, I was pondering if a small rapid transit layout would do the job. If it were long (like the 1'x8' layout described earlier), you could model an few subway (or in my case, PATCO) cars shuttling this way and that. Then again, it would have to get its merits from looking fantastic, since that sort of shuttle operations is the most entertaining.

jwb Wrote:Here is a commuter operation that's almost in place on my layout. My main passenger terminal, which is named Manhattan Transfer for no good reason, has both long distance and commuter operation. Here is an RDC on the commuter run to West Egg waiting to leave the commuter platform at Manhattan Transfer:

The whole run is maybe 12 feet. I aim to install a back-and-forth circuit that can be cut in or switched out as needed, since other freight and passenger trains will be using the same track.

Very nice, I think I have the other end of that train! I picked up a Reading Company RDC3 for cheap one day, though now i'm trying to figure out how to convert it into a snack bar coach like what was used on the old Crusader and Wall Street before those trains were cancelled by SEPTA.

Quote:Especially in more modern times, commuter operations can be pretty simple-minded. I grew up in the 1950s and 1960s in New Jersey and Washington, DC and got to ride some of the more complicated operations on lines like the Long Island, New Haven, Lackawanna and Reading, so I have an idea of some of their appeal and will eventually have longer-distance runs with locos that have to change ends. Still, this part of things ain't like the switching on your video, and my thinking is that scenery and incidentals are very important to keep interest. You can never have enough figures, enough vehicles, enough relay cases, enough dwarf signals, etc etc etc -- I'm still working away on these. Also the stations should be architecturally interesting, thus for instance the Magnuson station at West Egg.

I don't even know where to begin with many of those small details! Wallbang Icon_lol

I'm thinking I better just ballast and add the trees for now, then figure all of that out. Still, I have to agree. a Commuter train running in boring scenery is even more boring. I think i've let the scenery half of the hobby go in my quest to obtain more local stuff.

Ronweebel70 Wrote:How about something built like the HOG model railroad but one side could be staging reusing equipment for the passenger moves if necessary. There could be an industrial area on one or more sides.Residential/business district with a depot on third side. Multiple track mainline .This also gives you a continuous run option.

Ron

http://hogrr.blogspot.com/

I've seen that before, and its pretty close to the idea that I had. That might be the best way for something "immeadiate".
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]

Messages In This Thread