Peanut Butter Plant
Here's a track plan that I worked up, with the Smucker's Peanut Butter plant as the primary industry. It's about all I can come up with that would fit my switching layout bench work, but does sort of capture the look and operations of the plant in the late 70's when it was still Proctor & Gamble:     The track arrangement around the peanut butter plant "resembles" what was actually there when I worked for the L&N, with the plant having two tracks and then the lumber dealer and produce distributor located by the plant.

I would typically have one or two vegetable oil tank cars and/or Airslide covered hoppers of sugar spotted on the short track and then two or three box cars of inbound peanuts on the longer track. Also would place a box car (sometimes two) for outbound shipments of peanut butter. There is room on the long track for cars waiting to be spotted, just to add operational interest. The lumber dealer and produce distributor only have room to spot one car each, but then that would be rather typical for these facilities.

Using modeler's license, I've placed two other Lexington industries that I like, on my spur to provide destinations for some of my other freight cars. The feed mill would be based on the Lawrence Brewer & Sons mill (two car spots) and the soft drink bottler on G&J Bottling (two car spots with room to hold one or two more) [see photos in the first posting]. I should note that G&J Bottling did not have a rail spur in the late 70's, but what the heck? It's a nice little industry to include on this freelance plan. I could also use the main track between the peanut butter plant switch and the switch leading to the produce/lumber industries as a team track spot if desired.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"

Messages In This Thread