GEC's New Years Resolution Challenge
This is a little late, but I missed the beginning of the contest.

Part of my New Years Resolution is to take it easy. As such, i'm picking an easy project. I'm going to take an Athearn model of a Lehigh Valley RS2, and convert it into Conrail 5201. This locomotive was found in Waverly yard, the northern terminus of Conrail's electric freight operations, sorting cars in the yard and transfering them from waverly to other local yards.

This may not be as easy as it seems! The Athearn model is based on Lehigh Valley #210, and is a fairly accurate model of the 210. However, 5201 was formerly unit #214, and the differences include different headlights, fuel tanks, horns, and other parts. There is of course the matter of patching the unit in a believable fashion, and then weathering it.

As it was-

[Image: earlyconrailroster81210b.jpg]

what it will look like-

[Image: _original]

Right now, I just need to find the proper parts.

I have already removed the headlight castings, incorrect horn, and other parts. I seem to be having a problem finding a single beam headlight. I am also unfamiliar with the equipment on the short hood deck in this photo. What is it?

Otherwise, this looks to be an interesting project. Even if I can't get it perfect, it should be close enough.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]

Messages In This Thread