Working in a hobby shop
21 years U.S.Navy - 19 years "Field Service", took a job at a newly opened Hobby shop, after being laid off.
I really enjoyed working there. Unfortunately, the store was never meant to "last", and after three years there, I was informed that the owner had declared bankruptcy. I'm fully, and officially retired now.
The customers who always are complaining about wanting discounts? They'd eventually want you to pay them for the privilege of using your product. Charge them full price. Icon_twisted
The best Hobby Shops, are the ones where the employees are always ready and willing to "talk shop", share the hobby, rather than always "pitching" the product, and knowing the customers well enough to recommend products they can successfully use, until they have developed a wider range of skills. It's better that they learn a bit about the hobby, before spending too much on things they can't begin to understand. They will learn, and they will, eventually, be ready for the "latest and greatest".
I guess I could have put it much simpler, like, Always keep "Hobby", in Hobby Shop, and "shop" will be the beneficiary.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!

Messages In This Thread