Poll: How old are you?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
0-20
1.69%
1 1.69%
21-40
23.73%
14 23.73%
41-60
45.76%
27 45.76%
61-80
27.12%
16 27.12%
81+
1.69%
1 1.69%
Total 59 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

The future of model railroading.
MountainMan Wrote:That's why interest is dying out. History isn't taught all that much in our schools these days. Sad
MountainMan Wrote:On the basis of how we model - always in the past - and the lack of interest in niche history evident in the youth of today, who actually receive minimal instruction on broad history, and none on things like the railroads. Whenever and wherever you see railfans watching trains, they are invariably older people, not young people. As for "the trains of today", they are already history and in your past. You can only model what has already been done.

I can't say I agree with you here. There is plenty of interest in niche history, but there is a LOT of niche history, and railroads don't necessarily make a large (or popular) part of that history. I bet you any day of the week, I can find more people who know what a B17 is than an F-unit.

What historically significant things have railroads done in the last 100 years? While they may be responsible for keeping our economy moving, the railroad industry matured from cutting edge to just another type of industry by the first world war.

I don't think Railroads have done anything train related that justifies their mention in the history books. I think we has modelers tend to put greater importance on the trains since they are our interest.

The bottom line is...

Model railroads aren't toys anymore. They are not set up in the storefronts of the toy store on mainstreet anymore. (in fact, one could argue between Walmart and Toy'R'Us, there are fewer mainstreet toystores now than ever). Be honest, when was the last time you saw a trainset for sale anywhere outside of a hobby shop?

On rare occaision, sometimes you can find a Lionel set, and there may be one or two Life-Like sets of the LOWEST POSSIBLE QUALITY in a walmart, Kay-Bee or Toys'R'Us. This brings us to the second problem...

Model trains aren't all that accessible either.

You can't just pick up a model trainset and use it. If that sounds strange to you grizzled veterans of model railroading, try reading the Amazon reviews.

Apparently, EZ track isn't so easy, since many complain that the tabs (railjoiners) don't work or about other issues, such has random uncouplings (mchenry couplers no doubt). Most of the Amazon reviews are by people and families "new" to the hobby, or people who haven't modeled for the past 30 years.

These are not just the cheap Lifelike sets (which incidentally, still cost a bit of money and also cause endless frustration). The higher end Spectrum stuff and even some of the Athearn and Proto sets all come underfire by the uninitiated.

These "new" modelers haven't even begun to even try some of the other basic parts of model railroads (Scenery, structures, etc.).

Its a very VERY intimidating hobby.

By comparison, its a lot cheaper to just go out and have fun with friends, or to play sports or a video game, and you can feel confident in that decision. Trains are a risk to most, and only those inspired to will likely attempt to move forward with the hobby.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]

Messages In This Thread