Poll: How old are you?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
0-20
1.69%
1 1.69%
21-40
23.73%
14 23.73%
41-60
45.76%
27 45.76%
61-80
27.12%
16 27.12%
81+
1.69%
1 1.69%
Total 59 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

The future of model railroading.
In considering this question, I think one needs to look at the results of the poll for more than just who is "coming up the ranks". Firstly, we are a self selecting group here - there are very few ten-year-olds on the site, so they can't indicate their age in this particular poll, even if they do like trains. Secondly, if we held a poll in grade schools that asked how many ten-year-olds were driving, we might conclude that the future of driving is in peril as there don't seem to be any youngsters doing it. Sure, the older kids (in grade 11 or 12) are doing it, but none of the little kids seem to be interested... Wink

To me, the results of the poll indicate that the hobby is one that appeals to a certain segment. Generally they are:
  • Older :o
  • More stable in terms of living arrangements and employment
  • Able to focus on something that interests them
  • Have some disposable income
  • Have permanent space available

So I don't think that the future of the hobby depends on the teens, who are (generally) none of the things above. It depends on the ability of the current group of modellers to attract their (slightly younger) peers to the hobby. They are the ones with the money, space, interest, and so on that are required.

Andrew

Messages In This Thread