"N"ew to "N" scale
Biggest bang for your buck is modelling the modern era. An SD90 in N is as long ,but not as high or wide as an F unit in HO. An 85 foot auto-rack car is as long but not as high or wide as a 40 foot HO box car. You can have a "long" train in N at 10 feet double headed with SD90's, the same 10 feet in HO would look ridiculous double headed by two SD90's.

In my humble opinion, HO is the best "transition" era modelling medium, however N scale is the best modern modelling method. Steam engines are clearly superior to Diesels when it comes to looks and presence, but I find the multiple trains in the transition era box car red or brown to be down right boring now. I prefer the long trains of the modern era for colour and interest. I love long unit trains of coal, sulfur or wheat. I love long auto-rack trains.

Equipment is larger in the modern era in the prototype and modelling these engines and rolling stock removes the "puny" look N scale can have. So you might want to consider the modern era. The best way to get into it is go rail fanning and let what you see inspire you. You might even be able to purchase that rolling stock you saw with the same number!

Messages In This Thread