doctorwayne's New Years Resolution Challenge...
Progress continues on the EG&E boxcars, with all of the rivet strips (and the original roofs) re-attached to the lowered cars. The next task is to remove the roof, leaving the rivet strip intact. This was done by repeatedly scoring with a utility knife from inside of the car:

[Image: NewYearsChallengePhotos229.jpg]

The rough edges and any remnants of the roof are then sanded-off by rubbing the upside-down car over a sheet of sandpaper, face-up on the workbench. Care needs to be taken to ensure that the rivet strip is not damaged:

[Image: NewYearsChallengePhotos237.jpg]

The new Viking roof, from Des Plaines Hobbies in Chicago, is intended for the Red Caboose X-29 boxcar, and has a lip which fits into those cars, aligning it properly. However, the Athearn car casting is too thick to allow the roof to seat properly, so the lip needs to be removed. I carved away the bulk of it, along with those locator pins, using a #18 blade in my X-Acto, then carefully sanded to remove the remainder. Here's an original roof at top, with the modified version below:

[Image: NewYearsChallengePhotos231.jpg]

That roof is on the car, with elastic bands holding it in place while the cement sets. Photos, if I have time, tomorrow.

Wayne

Messages In This Thread