Removing factory paint/decal?
jwb Wrote:The best I can say is that Scalecoat ELO stands for "easy lift off" paint remover. I checked Walthers, and I think it's 640-10568, but it's not called ELO there. (It's possible the rock band got on their case and made them stop using the name.)

ELO is a PollyScale/Floquil brand, and should be shown on the Testor's website.

Removing lettering is often a bit of a crapshoot. I have some Rivarossi passenger cars which a friend would like re-lettered. I tried methyl hydrate on a rag, and it didn't touch the lettering at all. It did, however, remove the car's paint, a colour which he wanted to retain. 35 Since the lettering is applied over the paint, soaking the car in methyl hydrate will eventually remove it, along with all of the paint. Eek I'll mix-up a batch of paint to match the original, then re-paint all three - they need some other work anyway, and this is a better way to do the job.

ELO actually works quite well in many cases, but it's difficult to know exactly when to rinse it off - too soon and some of the lettering may remain: too late, and some of the paint may be removed. It's also not especially cheap.
You can also try rubbing alcohol, but not the 70% stuff - I found the 99% works well on some lettering.

If the paint starts to come off, you're probably better to just strip the car completely, then, after a good wash and thorough rinse, spray it with grey primer, then a suitable blue. If you don't have an airbrush, primer is available in spray cans, and you should be able to find a suitable blue in the model car paint section.

Wayne

Messages In This Thread