Posing A Question About THe Hobby
I'm not a true model railroader, but I play one in real life.

Is there really a correct definition of a "real model railroader"...I don't think so.
Being a model railroader is more a state of mind. Is the guy that pulls out his Lionel every year and sets it up around his Christams tree a "real mdoel railroader". He make think so. But the guy with just a 4' x 8' oval on a piece of plywood thinks he's more a model railroader than him. As well as the guy that has his basement full of trains thinks he's more a model railroader than the 4 x 8 guy. And don't even get me started on rivet counetrs!

Its all a matter of perspective. Its doesen't matter whether I have just a 4 x 8, or a basement full. It doesen't matter if I like building kits, or buying RTR, or "Plop in Place" structures. It doesen't matter, if I run a a Heinz vinegar car behind an SD90MAC, or a string of double stacks behind a Pacific. Its how I percieve the hobby, and how I enjoy it.

So what if I have deep pockets and have a professional build a layout for me, does that make me a "real model railroader"....Maybe...What if I run my trains protypically with waybills, time tables, and CTC machine. Wouldn't that considered being a model railroader?

The original concept of this thead has deteriated to a "bashing war". The article may have seemed like a advertisement for the company that built the layout...True...How many other articles had Model Railroader published did the same thing. Why aren't they mentioned here? I did mention one, but it seemed to have been missed. I also included some of the reasons why the guy had it professionally built....Its back on the first page.....Check it out.

So...Lets forget the "Real model railroader" bashing of this thread and get beack to the original concept.
Or just let sleeping dogs lie...........
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.

Messages In This Thread