Survey say's
I model in HO. I think S scale is the perfect scale and would do it if I had the space. Unfortunately, in the space I have available, I could not have much more than a "double timesaver" in S. HO is too small, but with my space available, I can make do. I look at the detail that Kurt put into his scratch built PS5344 boxcar in the Scratch builder's forum here, and I would try to do that sort of detail for all of my rolling stock except locomotives if I could. It would be interesting to try for that level of detail in locomotives, but I would need to have a good running chassis as a starting point. Again in HO, I find the details too small to do comfortably, but I try to make do.

I like an isl, point to point. For me, running in circles is boring no matter how big the circle.

I'm using dcc on my home layout because I like the benefits of not needing to do anything with a throttle but run the train. The only switches I want to throw are "turnouts." I also prefer walk around control, and since the advent of dcc, analog walk around throttles are not available unless I build it my self. I think the biggest problem for me with dc is the variance in electric motors used in model locomotives. With dcc and JMI, I can tune a locomotive to start as soon as the throttle is cracked, and limit the top speed to what I want instead of what the motor will do. Since my home layout will only run one engine, I could make do with a good dc power pack like some of the good ones from MRC, except for the problem of the response and speed control and "tunability" being nonexistent without dcc.

I belong to a club for when I want to run trains in circles, but would rather do local switching even on the club layout.

My dream layout would be to build a point to point switching layout in a building the size Gary S built in Texas, but I would build it in S scale if I had the money and space for a building that size.

Messages In This Thread