Bachmann's Geep
Oops, I slipped east again..... but I could not resist 48 hours delivery to Germany and the special price at Trainworld Wink

SOU decals are on order but that will take some time. In the meantime I borrowed some NYC numbers for the number boards and some CSX YN3 numbers for the cab sides. I am not optimistic if I will try to remove the large "southern" letters from the long hood. The damage might exceed the advantage.
However, all four engines are smooth runners.
The horns (both sides) and bells (long hood) are on most but not all photos black as the engine itself. I think I should follow the majority and paint them black too.
I did not do the white stripes at the ends because that would have delayed the installation of snow plow and the MU cables until the decls arrive.

ps. Don't be confused, I am working on a SoCal layout and have no intention to change that!
pps. The price is so low that the German customs at Leipzig airport (port of arrival for DHL express) used to Maerklin prices put the parcel on hold and requested a proof of payment on Saturday morning. They considered the invoice a fake :o

[Image: 89821e53.jpg?t=1343154472]
[Image: c5838c3b.jpg?t=1343154467]

Another remark about the Bachmann NS DCC GP50 I got from a LHS.
Those models are not the same as the SOU DC models. They differ in more than the RFI components and the main PCB (plain or decoder integrated). The DCC motor runs even after removal of the RFI components not as smooth as the DC one. The motors look very similar but the are not the same. I did also swap the tanks. It did not work. The DCC tank is a tiny bit larger and the DC engine with a DCC tank lacks some clearance over the rails at critical locations. That means also the chassis are likely to be a little bit different.
I would recommend to stay with the DC version. Looks like it has the more smooth running motor and the Bachmann installed DCC decoder is anyhow at she verity low end (I call it useless for model railroading but might be a nice goody for toys).

Some time later....

Ok, southern lady, no more pose. Get the job done
[Image: c3e6820f.jpg?t=1343161866]
Reinhard

Messages In This Thread