Model Train Production News
MasonJar Wrote:From the point of view of a modular railroader, whose focus is on operations...
I would not run many of the RTR offerings at the club set-ups. At $40+ each, I am not prepared to have others handle them, transport them multiple times per year, and do some "quick and dirty" (although still decent Wink) weathering on them. For the same reasons, I am not prepared to invest a lot of time to scratch-build all the required cars either.
So the "shake the box" or BB or whatever kits fit the bill. I can bring the requisite cars (the call is different every set-up, but between the members, we generally need 100 - 150 cars) and at ~$10 each, they are fine. The detail is decent from 3+ feet, they run well, are easy to repair, and stand up to repeated handling and transport.
I always look at the Accurail or Athearn kits over RTR when I visit the LTS. Either that, or the consignment shelves... Wink Big Grin
Andrew

Cheers Cheers Cheers

For the modular shows, including Trainfest, I usually bring the relatively unmodified - completely unmodified, "Shake-the-Box" cars to run. I finally reached the point where I was repairing damage, more than building new. " A place for everything, and everything in its place " isn't totally about "organizing". The concept can be applied to the use of something as well.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!

Messages In This Thread