Bowser USRA Lt Mikado, Deluxe Kit build
Quote:The track test results: Bad Motor
It would not respond to power. I took it out of the loco and tried to power it up seperately, but nothing doing.

Been there, done that!
Matt, I made exactly the same experience like you, although not with a Bowser kit. Built up the frame, wheels, rods, gear train and motor - and then I made the first track test with power: N-O-T-H-I-N-G! No running, no jerk, not even a hum. Yep, the motor was dead, right from the start.

My story wasn't exactly happy-ended though, because the manufacturer (a German firm which shall rest nameless...) flatly refused to send a replacement. They simply insisted that they included only first class motors in their kits, and that it was me who must have made a mistake! And then they offered a new, different (!) motor for a fantastic price - fantastic expensive, that is! Wallbang

Morale of the story: Although I didn't build too many kits so far, my FIRST thing I always do: Get the motor out of the box, attach two wires to a powerpack and test-run it.

BTW: Your Mikado is getting along nicely. I always liked the lines of the USRA locos, and she is looking very good indeed! I'm looking forward to see her dressed up with all the steam pipes, air pumps, lamps, bell & whistle etc. etc. And I'll second josh: When you have attached the running boards plus the air tanks hanging from them, the gears will become almost invisible.
Matt, I hope your wrists will heal quickly, so we can see more progress on your fine model! Thumbsup

Ron
Boss of the Trim Creek & Western RR (H0 & H0n3)
Running through the hard-shell mountains, not around them!

Messages In This Thread