All change.... new start
"What to do about the peninsular"?

If this were my layout I would widen the peninsular at the base so the main/lead could travel down one side, around the end and back up the other side before heading into staging. Admittedly, this wiill cause the benchwork/industry on the wall by staging to become more narrow, to handle the increased width of the peninsular, but still could serve a pair of industries in relief. In addition i would make the connection to staging be a full wye so engines/cars ("unload this side only") could be turned and it would act as a terminating/interchange point on the harbor railroad being fed by other larger railroads. I would also place industries on both sides of peninsular and scenic the base to resemble track following a harbor. it's very common to find sharp curves in these areas feeding industries and wandering around warehouses to get from one place to another. Just a note: I am not sure the length of equipment you plan on operating but with 22-24" radius curves for the main line you should be able to handle 50-70 foot cars nicely including the wye.

If it was desired to actually simulate an earlier period or as a shortline, say the 1940-50s as a branch line, then a small turntable with simple, engine facilities, could be placed at the other end of the line for true point to point operation with small steam locomotives (Bachmann 0-6-0 and 2-6-0 engines) handling the business. Maybe you could also tack on a combine or run a gas electric for passenger service. No matter the era, it should be a line where only a handful of cars, 4-6 are handled at any one time and trackage should not be complicated but very simple as is the prototype, definitely shying away from switching puzzles. My experience from 45 years of railroading as a conductor/engineer has taught me to ALWAYS KISS keep it simple as it always take longer than you expect to get a job done.

Finally since the two ends of the layout are pretty close by the entrance I would build either a simple, lift out or drop down to connect both ends for a bit of continous running when you just want to see trains run or for visitors who really are not interested in true operation. I like your plan but think it offers many more options than what you have designed thus far. Throw in a lot of trees, a bit of seaside water, a couple of large buildings and you have a great layout which can be built quickly but take a lifetime to scenic and operate.

Just some suggestions from an "old head" railroader.

Barry

Messages In This Thread