Gone.. but not forgotten
Svein Wrote:I notice you designed the layout with plenty of isle space in front of the yard, while the lower isle is quite narrow. What's your experience with that, did it work OK? The reason I'm asking is that I'm thinking of having a small peninsula in the middle like you did, but I'm not sure if the isles on both sides will be wide enough. Without the peninsula the room will have plenty of space in the center, but the track plan and layout possibilities may be somewhat limited in comparison.

Svein

Hello Svein,

This photo shows the narrowness of the aisle. I think it was less than 2' (maybe 22" ?).

[Image: P1020284.jpg]

It didnt matter too much when operating with just two of you as one would always be at the yard and the other would be running the train from staging to staging. I did get more awkward with more people, especially on a group open day when there could be around six or seven in the room..!

As you can see the track is mostly away from the edge on either side, so there was no chance of de-rails falling on the floor, or stock being knocked off by an inadvertant arm. The staging on the right hand side was protected by the fascia which I left about an 1.5" above the board level.

The aisle was managable, of course two people couldnt pass each other, you either had to come further into the layout or edge back out onto the landing..!!

It was worth grabbing the extra space to have a peninsula, even at the expense of a little inconvenience. If you are operating it by yourself mostly, that wont matter. The layout certainly wouldnt have lasted so long or given so much operating enjoyment without the penisula.
Robin

Messages In This Thread