L&N Industrial Rail Spur
Although it looks like it's going to be after the first of the year before I can do any real modeling; thought I'd post my current track arrangement for "Kentucky Street". Just a another typical industrial spur and not much different from previous plans, but it does achieve my goal of minimum track and turnouts with maximum switching and destinations for all my equipment.

Track is laid out and in operation and since I don't have time to do much except operate it once or twice a week, I'm still considering this a test plan for now. Have made a few structure mockups which helps to give me a feel for how the finished layout might look and must say that I enjoy operating it when I need a break from the other project. So far, I'm pretty well pleased with how it's all working out.     As before, layout dimensions are 18 inches deep by 20 feet in length and the inbound train is staged at the left side of the plan as though it had just entered the spur. A "typical" operating session is averaging at least one hour without any excessive time killing.

Industries from right to left are:

Frozen Meat Distributor: Inbound refrigerator cars (1 spot). Having this one industry located at the end of the spur adds some interesting switching and makes good use of the entire length of the spur.

Cooking Oils: Inbound General Service tank cars of cooking oils (2 spots) and is based on several such facilities I've found around the country.

Distribution Warehouse: Inbound box cars of various commodities (4 spots). Having two separate industries on the one long spur also adds switching interest and is of course quite prototypical.

Beverage Bottler: Inbound Corn Syrup tank cars (2 spots with room to hold 2 or 3 waiting to be spotted). I curved this spur and the structure just for some visual variety, although it really doesn't need to be laid out that way.

Bakery: Inbound Airslide Hoppers of flour (2 spots with room to hold 2 or 3 waiting to be spotted)

Transload Track: Spots up to 5 assorted cars including covered hoppers of feed and fertilizer, bulkhead flats of lumber and wallboard, insulated box cars of beer, and perhaps refrigerator cars, all for off-line industries.

I'm not wild about having the "same old" transload or team track, but it does give me destinations for some of my miscellaneous equipment and has a few features found on such tracks such as the shed where covered hoppers unload, the small crossdock building, an office, and a truck scale.

Having at least two industries with spurs that hold more cars than can be spotted adds operating interest as you must pull your empties and then spot the waiting inbound cars per industry instructions. You can of course, also use the extra track space to hold overflow cars for the other industries too. More switching variety.

Of course the plan is entirely freelance, but does include industries based on prototypes that interest me. With the number of sound equipped DCC locomotives I've managed to acquire, I tend to vary what railroad is operating the spur from one session to the next. Is there any cure for purchasing locomotives that you don't really need?

We'll see how this holds up and I am getting quite frustrated with not having the time to do any real construction! Do have to admit that I'm still looking for that "unique" track plan that seems to keep evading me, so testing out various plans has been quite a help; even if I haven't hit on "The Plan". At some point, you have to quite planning and build!
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"

Messages In This Thread