...as to soldering
teejay Wrote:Got another bright idea Misngth .....the area where I would be soldering the rail joiners will have no ties in the immediate area as they are either removed or slid back . Right ? What if I slide a thin metal bar in that area and make contact with the underside of the rail joiner ....the metal bar could be two or three times longer than the tie because it will just stick out . Would this act as a sufficient heat sink ?
Just wonderin' ...I'll go back to sleep now . Wink T

You do not want to "cool" the rail joiner, if that is what you are trying to solder to the rail. You just want to keep the heat from traveling down the rail, and melting ties.
You could also use a damp paper towel for a heat sink. Once again, the rail, and the joiner have to be hot enough to melt the solder, or you won't get a good electrical joint. A liquid, or paste flux, helps transfer the iron's heat to the rail and joiner.

I would also recommend that you use some scraps for a few practice runs, to see for yourself how much heat and time are required for a good solder joint.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!

Messages In This Thread