Poll: If you pass a locomotive at 45 MPH, what would you notice about the train?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
The General shape or color (Its a blue EMD, or a black GE)
75.00%
9 75.00%
Spotting features (round radiator fans or "wing" radiators, wheel arrangments)
16.67%
2 16.67%
Specific details (remember only something like the roadnumber, but not the color or anything else about the locomotive)
8.33%
1 8.33%
Total 12 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

What do you notice in a glance?
Green_Elite_Cab Wrote:
ezdays Wrote:To only have all that knowledge that those rivet-counters do... Nope

I'm curious what you mean by this. I'm not sure rivet counting is necessary. Besides, I'm more looking into exactly what the title says (what people remember when they see something briefly). I just picked this train example since I figure most people here would have been familiar with the scenario.

I guess I should have said, "rivet-counters want you to think they know". When I see a loco go by, about all I can remember is the road name and herald, giving me a hint as to age. We're close to the BNSF main line and I see everything from the old SF Warbonnet to the new BNSF design. I'm surprised when I see a CN, UP or another line, but I'll be darned if I could tell you whether it was a GP-20 or 38 or a dash-8. A rivet counter might ID that before they even notice the road name, or so I would think. Icon_lol It would be nice to be able to do that, which was my point.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD

Messages In This Thread