A highway overpass concealing track thru backdrop
I recently had done some track work (the track had been there for years, but only the mains were operable) and so with the new operations available I was inspired to get some senery done. Part of that was finishing a highway overpass where the mainline goes thru a backdrop. For perhaps 10 years the tracks went beneath an unpainted acrylic sheet cut to size, supported with a 2x4. I have scratchbuilt the bridge over the tracks according to one in a Lackawanna book, typical of the area in North Jersey. The highway itself is based on Rt 23 running thru Morris County. I used the Rix guardrails and styrene added to the acrylic. Here are some pics in primer, I have some questions I hope you'll have input on regarding a retaining wall I need to build then I can paint.

The cardboard is where the retaining wall needs to be. I want to use a wall made from concrete castings similar to modern ties. I'll post a pic next post. I'm hoping someone knows of some available item or I'll need to scratchbuild a half dozen then make molds and start casting. If I need to go that route I'll need some referance material! The white styrene piece is the on/off ramp and will be concrete like the highway. I will switch to macadam beyond that, where the masonite is filling in for the road surface.

Rt 23 has low concrete curbing with gentle sloping sides, the prototype has oval shaped recessions cast in, I had to go with v grooved styene. Inbetween there is usually dirt blown in by wind and weeds taken root. That is what I'll be going for.

Messages In This Thread