Woodland Scenics Field Grass Question
Hi Jim

Are you talking about the WS Field Grass? That stuff can be a little difficult to use and the stuff takes some patients when planting and cutting it

This is how i used the stuff

I take 2 or 3 different colors of the grass and take a few Fibers of each of them and mix them into a bundle so that there is no uniform colors, there all mixed up, greens are mixed in with the golds and yellows..... Then i make sure that no Fibers are sticking out to far on either end, the Fibers that are sticking out to far from the others on the ends, i gently pull them out and re-set them in the mixed bundle so there not sticking out to far on either end anymore. You really have to do all this while you are holding all the fibers in between your fingers.

Make a bigger bundle for a larger grass plant, smaller bundle for a smaller grass plant, i try to mix them up and plant small and larger bundles close or near each other.

When you have the bundles so that the Fibers are not sticking out to far on the ends, pinch one of the ends with your fingers to the length you want the grass and then take a pair of sharp scissors and cut the Fibers at the end of where you holding. Make sure you do this over something, i like to do this over the bottom of a Athearn Blue Box, just take the bottom of the box and flip it upside down so you have a mini working area for the grass to fall on when you cut them. Make sure that when you cut the Fibers you keep them as close as you can to the bottom of the Athearn BB box so that the Fibers dont separate and un-bundle that much, otherwise, the Fibers will get all messed up and go every which way lol

After this (mind you the cut fibers are still pinched in your fingers) take a bottle of WS Scenic Glue (or whatever you choose to attach the grass to your layout with, wood glue also works well ive heard and dries to look something like dirt, personally i think the WS Scenic Glue looks fine as it dries clear) and put a small dot where you want the bundle of cut grass to go. If its in a tight spot, put the bundle of grass in a pair of tweezers and plant it that way if you cannot plant it with your fingers. This can be quite difficult when transferring the cut Fibers to tweezers, and i dont know how to explain doing it, you just have to figure out a way to keep the cut side of the fibers level while you put them in some tweezers lol Just try not to drop it, cuz you wont be able to re-do it and that cut bundle will be lost lol

After you have planted that cut bundle, go back to the Athearn BB Box bottom and pick up the remaining length of your grass Fibers. Take the cut end and pull some of the Fibers out a bit so the end is not level and it looks like a bunch of random lengths of grass. After you have done this, re-peat the cutting, gripping, gluing and planting....

like i said, this stuff can be a bit of a pain in the butt, but you just have to give it some patients and it takes some getting used to lol

Here is a couple pics of what i recently did with a little bit of the WS Field Grass along the front of my CAT module

[Image: SL372419.jpg]

[Image: SL372427.jpg]
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World

Messages In This Thread