New switching layout
FCIN Wrote:
Green_Elite_Cab Wrote:My theory is that the distance between someone's eyes and the layout only lets them see ~4 feet. One industry is about all you can model in that space. I suppose you could see more in your periphery, but if you're focused on your train and what you're doing, you're not really taking in the distant scenery.
GEC - you're on to something here. I currently have my yet to be finalized switching layout with only three large industries on it - each of which is at least 4 feet long and on a track that is 5 or 6 feet long. When working each industry, you focus on the work to be done and not the overall layout. Even works on much smaller layout's. It's quite surprising at times just how long it can take to switch just one of the industries and that's without any added time killing.

The more I think about it, the more I'm looking at the idea of periodically changing what one or two of the industries represent, just to add a little variety and not have to focus on making sure that one industry will support two or three different car types. Since I'm already swapping around what railroads operate it - it makes sense. Back to the drawing board!

Yep! I totally agree with both of you... The real fun begin when you can focus yourself on a job. Those long sidings are perfect to make you feel you are really working a railroad and not just trying to figure out a puzzle.

At the club tonight, we had a similar discussion. In the end, we agreed a few industries we superfluous and should be removed all together from the layout. In the end, it's better to put your effort on fewer, but better industries than wasting your effort on too much client. Sometimes, we just want to justify some type of rolling stock, unable to think out of the box. BTW, Reinhard's layout is a got exemple of how replacing industries from time to time is a way to keep a layout interesting. We all know once its completed, it's time to tore it down...

Flexibility, adaptability, credibility are the foundation of a layout in term of operation.

@Postman, I enjoyed your video. Absolutely NOTHING fancy, but feels so near to the REAL everyday thing we love.

Matt
Proudly modelling Quebec Railway Light & Power Company since 1997.

Hedley-Junction Club Layout: http://www.hedley-junction.blogspot.com/

Erie 149th Street Harlem Station http://www.harlem-station.blogspot.com/

Messages In This Thread