jwb, 2013 Duff Challenge
I've disconnected the less powerful ITTC straight DC controller from the second cab of the block system on my main line and replaced it with the NCE Power Cab. You can see the headlight on B&O 5606 to prove this:

The more powerful (5 AMP) ITTC straight DC controller remains on the first cab of the block system. In effect, what I've done is to add a DCC option as one cab on a two-cab layout. Here is a typical block control panel. It's set up to allow me or any (very rare) other operator to select blocks as we walk around:

I know this is a less than good way to do things, but I have so many locos on plain DC that DCC is going to be a long-term transition project, and it will almost certainly be necessary to retain a DC option for as long as I have a layout. The large DPDT toggles on the board select one of two cabs, depending on whether the switch is up or down. They have (and are now in) the center-off position. The normal position of any block switch will be center-off, and since I will normally be the only operator, there's less chance that I'll run a DCC loco off a DCC block and onto a DC block by mistake, thus smoking the decoder, though I'm definitely aware of the risk. However, I don't see any other way to do things.

Also, the subminiature toggles on the board are for DC-style isolation of tracks where locos are stored. I will continue to use that for both DC and DCC locos, since the layout will continue to be wired for lower-amp DC operation, and I don't want to run the amps up with locos not in use but on the track. The flat lever toggles are for switch machines. Again, the switch machines will continue to have separate AC power, meaning less amp draw off the DCC wiring, which will continue to be a basically two-block system.

I'm pretty sure that the two-amp capacity of an NCE Power Cab won't be too much for this level of wiring. If I wind up using a lot more amps, I'll expand to a 5-amp booster and rewire the buses.

Messages In This Thread