jwb, 2013 Duff Challenge
I've installed a few plug-and-play decoders, changed some Atlas dual-mode in their GP38s and 40s to DCC, and programmed some Bachmann DCC on board locos. I decided to try a next step, the TCS A4x decoder, which is a replacement for the Atlas light board in old yellow-box GP7s, RS1s, RS3s, RS11s, S2/4s, etc. There's some soldering involved, and the question of what to do about the lights. The old yellow box Atlas typically had a single incandescent bulb at the center of the board that was unidirectional, feeding two light bars going to either end. One of my biggest objectives for DCC is to get better, constant lighting in my locos. I had some yellow-white LEDs on hand, and the TCS A4x has built in resistors for LEDs, so what better place to start? I followed the suggestions in the various TCS install guides on their site and wound up mounting two LEDs to fit roughly at the center of the board, replacing the single incandescent.

After about an hour, it worked right the first time!

I didn't want to do anything to change the existing light bars, since I wasn't sure exactly how to cut them and then polish the new ends to get them to transmit light, and I'd already installed numberboard decals in the numberboards, which are integral with the headlight lenses. I still need to check and be sure the LEDs will fit between the bars on the GP7 body -- otherwise, I'll need to fiddle and adjust:

Also do something like paint the half of the LEDs not facing the light bars black to try to get as much of a not-lit effect on the rearward-facing headlight as I can.

But it looks as though the TCS A4x will rejuvenate and add value to old yellow box Atlas, and I have a LOT of those.

Messages In This Thread