My "Southern Rwy & Graham County RR" layout
Good morning,

well, my girlfriend is on a vacation trip to her dad and I'm sitting alone at home and got bored...
So I went to the hobby store, got some more wood and a new propan bottle for my workshop-heater and get finally started with the GCRR division.

I bought plywood to build the first two segments "Interchanga Yard" and "Gap & Vegetables" but the remaining plywood was enough to build the curved modules "Tulula Creek" and "Cow Corner" too. Tracks are laid and a first test run was held on Sunday 10pm to the entrance of Robbinsville.

I tried to capture typical scenes of the old GCRR in my modules and I'll give you a short overview.

"Interchange Yard" : First module of the GCRR division, featuring a simple run around to switch the cars at the lower end of the line. In- and outbound cars were stagged in the curve between the yard and the SOU mainline. The landscape will raise and the line bends around the mountainside to represent the railroads climb out of the Nantahala Gorge.
Prototype photos: GCRR Yard, Nantahala Gorge
[Image: Gleisbau_i.jpg]

"Gap & Vegetables" : The next module continues the mountain side and leads the rails through the Tulula Gap into the high valley of the Tulula Creek. The railroads passes some fields and farms and this is represented by the modules name too.
Prototype photos: Fields along the line Gap
[Image: Gleisplan_i.jpg]

"Tulula Creek" : Curved module with 15" radius and 72,5°. The railroad passes the Tulula Creek on a simple bridge.

"Cow Corner" : This is another curved module with 15" radius and 45°. It's not used in the home layout, but very usefull for show. By adding this module to "Tulula Creek", I can place Robbinsville to different places. A willow with cows will be shown here later.

And at least a clip of the first train run up the GCRR division.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5Tageh_iKM">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5Tageh_iKM</a><!-- m -->

Next I'll build the module for Robbinsville and lay the tracks there too to get the whole divison ready to run.

Cheers, Gerd

Messages In This Thread