Big Blue NASCAR 2013 Racin'!!!!
teejay Wrote:I do recall IROC but I wasn't a regular watcher for other reasons . Being a Ford guy , I wasn't interested in watching a sea of Camaros . Having said that , it was interesting to watch racers from another series ( usually much lighter cars ) ply their skills . Even though the IROC cars were set up identically , there was no restrictor plate and drivers weren't bunched up forever ,as I recall . I don't remember big pileups , but then again , the field was much smaller ...maybe 12-15 cars .
With all the talent in the garage , I can't believe they can't come up with a solution . Maybe NASCAR just wants the status quo . They know there will be a big wreck , it's a matter of when . Has there ever been a plate race that didn't have " the big one " ?

T
Big Grin Yeah, I always thought that each IROC race should have had different manufacturer's cars and they could rotate every year as to what order they went in. Smile No - there has NEVER been any restrictor plate race that has not had a "big one".. There was a race at Talledega 2 or 3 years ago that had a wreck that involved about 6 cars, that was the "best" of the Big ones.. All others have always involved about 10 cars...

And no, I can't believe it either that there is no logical solution that would solve all these problems.. it's just that they haven't found it yet, which is why they are continually working by tweaking things.. they aren't leaving it go, they are still "trying".

Now I'm watching Raceday and they are talking about possibly re-designing the fences.. As you have pretty much stated - working on a symptom not on the actual problem of speed vs. catastrophe.. Who knows - in a few years we may have new fencing like we now have the SAFER barriers on all NASCAR tracks.
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???

Messages In This Thread