number one dead giveaway
doctorwayne Wrote:...That said, I don't think that we should allow those anomalies to overpower our appreciation of good modelling, creativity, and artful presentation, nor should they deter anyone from sharing photos of their work. Wink

talltim Wrote:What you are basically saying is that poor quality modelling is a giveaway!

What really matters is that a person does the best they can with the materials they have at hand or can afford to buy. It's also important that they are pleased with what they do regardless of what others think, especially those that know they can do better. "Quality" is in the eyes of the beholder, but needs to be tempered by what they are looking at and who did it. Modeling doesn't have to look like exact miniature replicas of the read world, there are things that one cannot control, but they do the best they can, and not everyone needs to like it. Take a painting for instance, an artist paints what he sees, feels or thinks. It doesn't have to look like a photograph to be acceptable, just something that the artist thought was appropriate. There are paintings and sketches that are worth in the thousands or millions of dollars that, in my opinion, look like an old painter's drop cloth or something at about a young child's scribbling done with crayons. For me, I would be reluctant to spend any amount of money for either; this is "poor quality" as far as I'm concerned but to others it is "art".

Some things you cannot change in modeling regardless. Manufacturers, for instance, can't make handrails to scale, they'd fall apart, they try their best to make couplers look to scale, but they can never get it quite right and they can't make LPB's look like real people no matter what they do. It is difficult to scale many other things, but like an artist, a modeler creates what they think is the right thing, and they might not even care what others think about it.

A while back we had a photo challenge, "is it real or scale" and it was amazing to number of scale models that had no, "dead givaways" and were extremely hard to detect as scale.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD

Messages In This Thread