Barney Secord flies the Grand Valley...
TrainNut Wrote:So, do these pictures pretty much reflect the current status of construction?

Yeah, the pictures were taken last week, expressly for this thread.

TrainNut Wrote:Also, do you have a timeline when you might be constructing the second level?

A very rough one: I'm currently backdating my rolling stock to place it more solidly in the 1930s, so I have about 35 cars on my workbench right now, undergoing re-building, details, paint, and weathering, with another 55-or-so yet to be started - about a dozen of those are major rebuilds. I also have about a dozen steam locos to rebuild - these are all major rebuilds. If I run out of steam on these projects, the layout will be next on the list: specifically, finishing those areas over which the second level will be built. To put a more positive spin on the actual construction of the second level, though, I have all of the support brackets welded-up and ready to install, along with all of the fluorescent light fixtures and some of the lumber for the benchwork - installation shouldn't take more than a few days. I also have almost all of the structures, although still unbuilt. No track, as yet, though. Misngth

TrainNut Wrote:I really like how you worked Airline Junction into a corner. Makes good use of the space. I might borrow that idea if I may and see if I can work something similar into my current plan for the new layout.

Thanks. Smile In my opinion, a corner is a great place for such a wye. Mine provides enough room to turn a loco and passenger car or, more commonly for my operating practices, a pair of double-headed locos. Not surprisingly, the turnout under the bridge is the only one that's given me any problems Misngth - pretty tough to solder a point rail to the throwbar under there, especially given the reach. It's also the only powered turnout on the layout.
As with pretty-well anything on my layout, the placement of the wye didn't originate with me, so feel free to use the idea. (Of course, if it had been my idea, any and all would still be welcome to use it.) Goldth

Wayne

Messages In This Thread