Lionel standard gauge engine 402
David, thank you for the info. I can gain some info from the diagrams you pointed me to. I have hand drawn some diagrams and have developed a plan. After studing the Super Motors I realze I must disassemble them to get to the brushes to replace the wires. I do not want to risk damage to the motors so I found another way to repair them. The original wires are intact but the insulation is so brittle that it simply crumbles between my fingers. I found some wire in my supply box which is slightly larger than the wire in the loco. I managed to slide the insulation off the larger wire and carefully slid it onto the old wires after cleaning off the old insulation. The end result is the original metal core of the the wire is still there but with new insulation. This process is very slow going but I have one motor done and it looks like it will work. Once I have the wires recovered I will clean the old grease and dirt out, relub the gears and bearing surfaces, and hopefully that will do it.

I found a date scratched into the metal under one end of the locl. It reads 12/13/29. It may have been scratched there by the original owner. Or it make be the actuall date of assembly at Lionel, though I would have thought the manufactuer would stamp the date rather than scratch the metal. I have never worked on one this old so I don't know.

Thanks again for your help. I will print out all three sheets and give them to the owner along with the locl. She appreciates old things like this loco and she would probably like the diagrams too.

Thanks again,

Kevin

Messages In This Thread