NS RP Units
Here's the reply I received from the NS Media rep...and what he found out from from the company's Locomotive section...

"The RP-E4C has all the benefits of the earlier RP-E4D from the mid 1980’s but it offers advantages for operations where two GP38-2 units are used in large measure to have operator cabs at both ends of the consist. Numerous locals operate over the mainline and then go down a branch line to switch an indusry. As a result, it is desirable and necessary to be able to operate from both ends of the consist.

The GP40-2 mother and a RP-4EC offer nearly the same tractive effort below 25 mph as two GP38-2 units and have almost as much horsepower (3000 vs. 4000) but burn less fuel and therefore this is greener solution. From a maintenance perspective we have one less engine, alternator and air compressor to maintain, making this a lower cost unit to operate with practically all the versatility of two locomotives with two diesel engines."

I guess that explains it! My thanks to Norfolk Southern for a complete explanation.
Mark

Citation Latitude Captain
--and--
Lt Colonel, USAF (Retired)

Messages In This Thread