GEC's Layout Progress
Puddlejumper Wrote:[Image: 22609layoutmodificationn.jpg]

PRR would not put a cat pole there in that tight clearance. The span would be increased for all the tracks. Looking at Baltimore, Bayview yard, there are spans from 1 to 8 tracks at a time. At Benning Yard, D.C. the track centers were extremely tight, with no room to ride on the side of cars, presumely to be able to span all the tracks with the cat poles. You would need prolly 20 or more feet beteen trakcs to put a pole there.

Don't know what amtrak would do, it seems a lot of the common sense that the PRR electric team had has gone by the wayside.

Dave

Yeah, i figured that would be to close, but the other tracks are just a freight siding. I don't think my loading dock is wide enough to accommodate a catenary pole sticking out of it. I have seen single poles that are double tracked, but then my catenary would not be as uniform. The only other thing i can think is to move up the catenary bridge. I didn't really want them to be to close together (i was going for every two feet on straight sections), but it would be possible to place a catenary pole on the other side the highway overpass from the other catenary pole/cross span. This would let there be enough room to realistically place the catenary poles that would be installed behind the camera where they should be. It might even be better, just to hold the wires more steady.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]

Messages In This Thread