GEC's Layout Progress
Not a whole lot of "Layout" progress to report, as my most of my efforts are on completing the catenary for my module.

That said, there are some neat things.

One of the older tricks in the book...

I was presented with a very cheap Athearn Genesis F89F flat car, which appeared rather badly beaten up. However, repairing it was very simple. The problem? I already owned that particular road number, 153228. The solution? A dot of black paint turns the "8" into a "3". I was worried this would look weird, but it turns out that it looks pretty good.

The "First" 153228-

[Image: P5082791.jpg]

After a quick repair job, "153223" looks pretty good.

[Image: P5082792.jpg]

Even up close, this end could use some touch up, but the reality is that to my rivet-counting eye, this car even passes the "6 inch" rule, let alone the 3' rule. I think I'll count this a success!

[Image: P5082788.jpg]

Trains everywhere

I stopped into a local model aircraft hobby shop to pick up some tools and supplies, and found this boxcar for the right price. Its an old P1K Newsprint car.

They had a second car, in Canadian Pacific green, with only the lettering and no "logo". Does anyone know if this is appropriate for 1979? Hopefully our Canadian membership might be better informed. If it is, I'll pick it up, since I have a new need for Newsprint capable cars.

They seemed to have adopted a similar practice to Conrail with "Yellow" doors indicating clean lading.

[Image: P5082793.jpg]

Donor Santa Fe Caboose

Here is the "Donor caboose", which will soon get cut down to a Penn Central/Conrail class N5K caboose. I'm not sure if these Transfer cabooses ever ended up in New Jersey, but its a neat prototype to practice my kit-bashing skills.

[Image: P5082786.jpg]

Panic Time

One thing I do hope, is that if I can get my catenary together, that I can hurry up and install DCC in my GP40P. Even though its not an "electric" locomotive, I would like to run it on our Northeast Corridor modules with a Jersey Builder consist. I also have a B1 electric that would look good under wire, and its already "prepared" for DCC, just needs to have its harness and lights soldered in.

I am however, not confident I can get this done before friday, but I might run them Saturday if I am fast enough!
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]

Messages In This Thread