GEC's Layout Progress
On a recent trip to Strasburg, my girlfriend told me I could pick out ONE TOY. Being me in a nearby hobby shop, I found a whole bunch of things.

I picked up a set of "K"Line Containers that matched the type that we rebuilt into a diesel shop in real life, so that was pretty cool. I also found a Bowser N8 Caboose kit in PC green with a fully spelled out "Conrail" stencil on the side (pics of that when I build it).

The one toy I did pick out though, was an Atlas SD35, #6023.

Conrail SD35 #6023

#6023 started out as PRR 6023 in April of 1965. The SD35 (along with the GP35) set the basic "shape" of EMD locomotives for the past 50 years. This six axle road switcher produced 2,500 HP. 52 of these locomotives made it to the Conrail roster, including 12 from the CNJ. Many of these became helpers in the area of Cresson, Pa. Unfortunately, this small population of locomotives were not especially popular, and all were retired or traded in between 1984 and 1986 for SD50s and parts for MT6 road slugs.

#6023 in particular has been difficult to track. as late as 1978, it still had its PC black and Conrail Patches, but then was in Conrail blue by early 1980. I am curious when it received the blue paint, but I suppose I'll have to keep searching. In any event, the model is a nice short six-axle road switcher, and I've seen many photographs of them on freights on the Northeast Corridor, so they work for me. I might have to do a CNJ patch if I get the chance.

[Image: P9111261.jpg]
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]

Messages In This Thread