GEC's Layout Progress
Charlie B Wrote:Chris, those spiders fascinate me. When I was running the railroad we had quit a variety of spiders and after supper I would sit on the back porch of the locomotive shed and watch one spider that had a web. It was very quick to immobilize any insect that hit the web, and it amazed me how fast the food was wrapped and placed in storage.
Charlie

They are interesting! My Goliath is like that. Pretty much as soon as it detects anything, it bursts out at high speed to pounce. The funny thing is that, its almost like T-rex from Jurassic park. As long as the prey doesn't move, the spider looses track of it. I've not only seen the spider walk away after "loosing" the prey, but I've watched it step on it, and not even notice! As soon as it moves though, BAM, the spider is right back looking for it.

The same thing goes with my Pink Toe. It a tiny little arboreal thing, but if you blink you'll miss it. I've been meaning to set my camera to 240 FPS when I feed it. It will literally teleport out of its hidden corner, snatch a cricket and teleport back. Its nuts! Fortunately, they are docile and "friendly" (if you can call it that) to humans. Otherwise I'd be nervous about having it around.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]

Messages In This Thread