Why do I like the 1950s/'60s so much?
With diesels in sight and on order (anywhere from the late 40s to early 60s) it's no wonder the railroads were not interested in upkeep of the steam fleet. You will see pictures as described above, with the only the moving parts being cared for, simply so the engines would not grind to a halt. Many were running without major repairs being undertaken, with time-extensions granted on critical components like boiler tubes or flues in lieu of repairs being carried out. These engines were cut up once they finally stopped working (or no one would dare try another run).

After all, the railways are in business to make money, no matter how noble, socially or historically important, or otherwise we may think they are/were.

The 1950s were the end of an era... not only were the steamers disappearing from the scene after more than 125 years, but a myriad of changes in society means that "things will never be the same". Not that I'm pining for the "good old days", but it is a little heartbreaking to see the "deadlines" of steamers waiting to be towed to the torch...

I guess the bottom line is that for me modelling is a time machine, and I'd like to travel beyond my lifetime.

Andrew

Messages In This Thread