Why do I like the 1950s/'60s so much?
Russ Bellinis Wrote:
RobertInOntario Wrote:...I do a fair bit of current rail-fanning with my kids and -- while the diesel engines appear to be in good condition -- most of the freight cars are very rusty and many are covered in graffiti! So the same is partly true of the modern era but maybe not as severe as the '50s/60s?
Rob

Robert, in the late 1990's the U.P., BNSF, and Tropicana started running what were essentially Carrier-Transicold trailer refrigeration units on their mechanical reefers. They ran Thermo King units as well for the early experiments, but in the case of BNSF, they had so many safety blue flag violations committed by T-K technicians that the company sent out a letter to all T-K dealers advising them that they would be removing their units and that T-K techs would be considered treepassers and subject to prosecution if they set foot on BNSF property! Carrier did not want the same situation to happen with us, so the company put on trainiing seminars all over the country with their dealer techs to teach us Blue Flag law, basic railroad safety, etc. When we went over to the Tropicana yard to look over one of the cars equipped with a Carrier unit, one of the guys noticed how dirty and beat up the car looked and asked how often they washed them. The BNSF supervisor in charge of freight car maintenance said "Never! The only reason for a car to be repainted or cleaned up is if we need to rebuild it, or remove enough graffiti to restencil the reporting marks." Most of the railroads look at their diesel engines as sort of rolling bill boards for advertising the company ( some don't care as long as they run reliably), but it seems nobody cares how a freight car looks as long as it is in good reliable operating condition.

Thanks, Russ. I'm sure you're right. As long as the freight cars operate OK, there's probably no need to repaint or wash them. Regarding the engines ... I hadn't thought about it much until just recently but it does seem that they are kept fairly clean and in good order, so that they are good advertisements, etc. Now I find myself watching the current diesel engines more closely and realize that their appearance/ condition is actually quite good, especially when compared to the run-down steam locos of the 50/60s. It's funny how nostalgia can create glamorous images & memories of the past that aren't 100% accurate!

Rob
Rob
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.robertrobotham.ca/">http://www.robertrobotham.ca/</a><!-- m -->

Messages In This Thread