Roundhouse Machine Screw Hole Help
Kevin, Andrew, and Wayne, i cant thank you guys enough for the help!!

I went to the LHS today and picked up a 2-56 Tap and a packet of 2-56 x 1/4" and 1/8" screws. There were only 5 in each package and they were $2.99 per package, so i only got one of each just to try them out and see how they worked lol The dang Tap was $7.49 and the screws were $2.99 a package Curse lol

I called my grandpa when i was at the LHS and asked him if he had something i could use the Tap with to turn it, of coarse he did so i did not need to buy anything else but the tap and the couple screws. I ended up putting the tap in his pin vise, he has a nice one that i wanna get lol (hes a jeweler and owns his own jewelery shop so he has everything lol). I also got a #50 drill bit (one of them was $1.39 which is ridiculous considering i got a pack of 10 for $1.99, i just didnt have #50's Curse ).

Brought it all home and my grandpa tells me the tap is a piece of crap, good old china imported crap lol. He brought out a massive book from a local tool supply warehouse, where we found a good old American made tap, that will do a better job, and its $5.99, so ill be going to get one of those along with a couple other tools next Monday with him lol.

Anyways, i put the #50 bit in a drill press and drilled all 4 of the holes out on all the frames (to bad i only brought 4 cars with me to there house, the other 10 will have to wait till next week when i come back over.... lol). The i used the pin vise with the 2-56 tap in it and taped all 4 holes in each frame all the way through, put them in an ultra-sonic solvent machine (he said it gets alot of the chips out that are left behind and also cleans the newly taped hole up real nice and smooth) then i blew all the holes out with the air compressor. Nice and shinny new taped holes!! Man they looked good lol. Put the brass 1/4" and 1/8" screws in there appropriate holes and bam, problem solved Misngth

Now all's i need to do is put some .10 fiber washers under the trucks to stop them from hitting the underside of the frames and put some nice Kadee Couplers on them when i get them lol

Just thought i would share how my problem got resolved Icon_lol

Thanks again for all your help guys Misngth
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World

Messages In This Thread