New Rail Study
Sure I'd like rail service to thrive, with necessary regulation to protect the people while allowing for profit. And I'm no expert, but it doesn't take a lot to see that the infrastructure is in need of some major dollars spent for modernization. But please, I don't want the heavy hand of the Federal Gov't to regulate the life out of profitable (or potentially profitable) railroads. Take Amtrak or the Post Office...any time the government gets involved running something as a business, it gets really messed up and doesn't turn a profit. I'd rather see Norfolk Southern go back to its roots and restart the Southern Railway routes that Amtrak currently runs. Or why can't someone restart the PRR and Broadway Limited? There are too many terrific routes that a private company might see potential (and yes, profit) in running and maintaining.

As someone with an airline background, I can tell you that the airspace above our heads is congested...seriously congested. Without both pilots and controllers helping each other move planes safely, air travel would be a lot more delayed. More dollars for FAA improvements in traffic congestion are coming, but still years away from making a noticeable improvement. Passenger rail service (not necessarily high speed rail service) would help especially in the heavily traveled northeast corridor. The amount of time difference between rail service and airline service between...say...Boston and NYC or Wash DC is almost none when you add in all the time it takes to get through security, wait for the flight, baggage pickup etc. I've been on Amtrak trains, and they're no better than an airline seat. But here in North Carolina, the state runs and maintains a very small fleet of engines and totally refurbished cars that give a wonderful and inexpensive ride. They connect up with Amtrak to take people north to Washington DC, and believe me, you can tell when you're not sitting in a NCDOT-owned train car. So it seems a state can manage to run a relatively short line passenger service and offer a reasonably priced (controlled by Amtrak I'd guess) ticket along with a great seat, so I'd bet a private company could do the same thing.

I'd vote for tax payer funded infrastructure improvements, combined with more privatization of passenger rail service. Let CSX and NS, BNSF and UP (and any other companies that want) take a stab at running quality passenger service in the highly travel routes around our major cities. I'd rather see Amtrak tackle the coast-to-coast rail or longer haul passenger needs and leave the shorter city-to-city pairings to private companies.

And with that...I'll get off my soap box.
Mark

Citation Latitude Captain
--and--
Lt Colonel, USAF (Retired)

Messages In This Thread