New Rail Study
MountainMan Wrote:Then why did we need a fleet of ships for up to six months to prepare for Desert Storm I? The actual truth is that aircraft can deploy troops, but not the armor and enormous logistical requirements necessary to support a modern military force, nor can they move anything into a hostile air zone. For example, there aren't enough aircraft in the world to provide the fuel requirements for our forces in the Middle East - tankers are required on a constant schedule. The same goes for ammunition and any other high density bulk supply.

I didn't say supply ships..I said troop ships..

You can deploy airborne and air cav in divisions strength by air and then supply by air..Your air power will machine gun enemy troops,smash their tanks,bomb artillery and troop fortifications.

All the airborne and air cav needs to do is sit up a perimeter and LZ for supplies(ammo,water,rations) and reinforcements..

When I was in the Air Cav 90% of our training was base on emergency deployments to hostile territories with minimum basic supplies-that means our field pack,gas mask,weapon and 250 rounds of ammo..Supplies was air dropped by C141 or by Chinook after we secured a LZ.Our main fire support was air strikes and the company's mortar platoon.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!

Messages In This Thread