Coal Mine Railway - Imaginary B&O spur.
Well, as said in my other railway thread - Im starting fresh, the current layout will be torn down and a new one constructed.

I've been working on this plan since Christmas, and am finally ready to begin construction. Several people new this railway was coming, but only one person knew remotely what the plan would be like. Other than that, its planning has been a complete secret, until now of course.

Here it is:

Basically the layout itself is 1900mm long and at one end 270mm wide, at the other 600mm wide. On top of this there is a control panel and 4 track traverser which will measure 475mm long and 270mm wide - the control panel can be positioned in one of 2 places, on the end (above where my computer is on my desk) when at home, or coming out of the back when the layout is at an exhibition (to save people at the exhibition space).

[Image: 20054a28216f37cbe.jpg]

The design is on three levels, rising up by 100mm over the zig-zaging mainline, with the control panel being about 20mm above ground zero. There is a hidden track which runs beneath the layout from the top inside the mine, to the bottom exiting out of the powerstation. This allows for full cars to be taken into the PS and then slighly taken up to the mine. At the same time empties are taken into the mine, and can then be bgrought down out of the PS - in effect gondolas go in full at the powerstation and come out empty, and vice versa at the mine.

There is a large tipple on the top layer - a Walthers Cornerstone Concrete tipple thingy, along with a large Helijan 120' turntable acting to create both a runaround for trains, and also access to the spur industries. A large passing loop in the middle makes up the final main scenery element.

Most of the scenery will be dusty rock strata - Inspired alot by Paul's logging layouts. This along with a semi industrial theme, coloured to make it look like the place is old, but expanding (hence the original "lower mine" - once that became unmineable, they extended the line upward).

Haveing tested running the design in xTrkCAD and ironing out the kinks somewhat, I'm finally ready to reveal it. It has alot more operating potential, and much more of the scenic elements which i like - much more of a "what i want layout."

Hopefully you will all enjoy watching it grow as much as i will enjoy making it.

Tommorrow i shall head to Shef. Insulation, to collect some blue foam, and then on Saturday i can start work (I have an exam Friday afternoon, so wont, annoyingly, be able to start then).

Enjoy.

EDIT:

The numbers reprisent height measurements. Around the turntable area they get confusing. The turntable and spurs are at 9.5cm. The 2.7 is the height of the track that runs under it. A larger version of the plan can be found [url="http://www.bobbobson.co.uk/flash/Post%20B&O%20Windowsill%20Mine%20large.jpg"]here[/url].
Tom (TC) - Creator of Extremely Miniature Layouts on Disks! See Them All, and More on My Website. Latest Update: Jan '10.
[Image: 200549bd0989263ef.png]

Messages In This Thread