Cab control wiring question
tv_man Wrote:And BR60103, although that what you mentioned is possible, wouldn't it be easier to use one cab/controller/transformer/I'm getting confused with this terminology for every engine running at the time? Would in the situation you mentioned the engine get the cumulative power from both cabs potentially overpowering it's engine? (with potentially hazardous consequences?)

I'm not sure if I'm helping here, but with common rail wiring in which blocks are separated by having one rail broken into insulated sections you will not have any issues with more than one power pack's power being routed to any block at the same time. These blocks are independent of each other and you can have one run on Power Pack A while the next block is powered by Power Pack B without any interference with the other. For example you could have a stretch of mainline as one block while a siding and a couple of industrial spurs are on another block. With two power packs you can allow a train to roll by on the main while another loco works an industry on the siding and spurs at different speed and able to change direction w/o affecting the train on the mainline.

The only time you might see power pack interference is if you forget to pay attention to where your train is and accidentally allow it to run beyond the limit of a block. (Who would do that!?! Goldth Nope ) Any way, if the next block is powered by a different pack it will take over powering the loco. I've done this with power packs running current in opposite directions. The locomotive does a little back and forth stutter move that alerts me to shut of the power. I imagine eventually you might burn something out if you allow this to go on.

You only need one power pack if you plan to run only one train at a time. Common rail wiring with isolated blocks will allow you to park other locomotives on unpowered sidings while running your train.

I you wish to run more than one locomotive at the same time then you do indeed need as many power packs as trains you wish to independently operate.

Ralph

Messages In This Thread