UP Elmwood Subdivision - N Scale Layout
It's been 10 days since since I started a little hiatus from working on the layout. It was nice little break from the layout and I took the opportunity to work other non-railroad projects I've been putting off doing.

There's also been some reflection on the layout. During my time-off, I was also able to really think about the layout (mainly at work, heh). I thought about what my goals are for it, what issues it has, how many things were built so they "sorta worked", and what things I would do differently. When I think to myself, "Was it that I really want to get out of my layout?", I usually just want to railfan the layout; Someplace where I can go and just watch trains run. I'm never going to have op sessions with others, and I'm not really into switching (not yet at least) either. I think I really just want a (almost) "roundy-round" with a few industries for future operational switching. Something that I could turn on, and just let run if I wanted.

During all of this (and previously), the wife and I talked about the usage of the house and the space we have, as we'd like to have a 2nd baby and we only have 3 BR's (1 being a guest room we'd like to keep). In short, instead of buying a house, utilizing the office/layout room as the guest bedroom would be the most cost effective measure for us.

So I've been pondering the idea of removing current layout and starting fresh with a new 16x7 layout in one half of the garage (picture a rectangle with a 28" aisle down the middle).

While I know it's certainly a *huge* change after spending nearly 2 years on the current layout, I feel like I could now build a layout more to how I really want. No crazy staging elevators, no cassettes, no helix, no double decks, etc... A more "traditional" kind of layout.

So needless to say, all work on the current layout is now on hold while this new layout is researched.

Messages In This Thread