NW 58th St., Miami
From the pictures Lance (Mindheim) posted and the bird’s eye view of Live Search Maps I knew that CSX uses GP38-2s to switch the East Rail district and the downtown spur. So this P2k Geep is my modern era engine.

[Image: m18.jpg]

[Image: m19.jpg]

Here is how I weathered it. After removing the shell from the chassis and masking off the windows, I carefully airbrushed a VERY thin coat of heavily diluted light gray (almost white) to remove the shine and to fade the colors a little. Next step was to mess up the roof Shoot . I intended to spray a little grimy black to the top and the upper sides of the hood. It went alright on the sides, but I applied too much paint to the top so that it got way too dark Wallbang . To save it, I coated the black with medium grey. Not in the mood to make a second attempt with black paint, I decided to finish the roof with white and black chalks. After spraying two coats of paint, the surface of the roof was rather coarse and the chalks stick very well especially if the paint is still a bit sticky. I like using weathering powders anyway on parts you usually don’t touch (like the walkways). The rusty patches on the shell were made with clear matt paint and rust colored chalk. First I applied the clear paint with a thin paintbrush and then used another paintbrush to put a fair amount of chalk on it. After the paint had dried, I brushed off the exceeding chalk.

For the trucks I mixed light tan with medium gray. After airbrushing the trucks, I put the shell back on the chassis and thinly sprayed some of the tan/gray to the lower parts of the engine to simulate dust from the ballast (they have light gray ballast in Miami). Next I mixed rust colored powder and clear matt paint and painted the trucks using a small paintbrush, making sure not to cover them completely.
Kurt

Messages In This Thread