NW 58th St., Miami
I did not intend to build the next structure right away after finishing Sentry, but by looking around with Google street view in the neighbourhood of Sentry I found this nicely run down strcuture: http://www.cnw.mattheydesign.de/m50.jpg. It is quite simple, but it has a lot of details and I love the "paint scheme" – I just have to build it Misngth . I will put this little "gem" at the end of the extension near Sentry, leaving some space between the two structures, so that the view to the tracks behind Sentry wil not be blocked completely.

Anyone mind me doing a step-by-step? No? OK, here we go. First I need a cutting template for the front wall. I take a screenshot of the Google street view and put it into CorelDraw. Here I scale it down until the door in the pic is exactly the height of a HO scale door. Now with the building in the picture showing the right dimensions, I can directly draw the lines for the wall and the openings of the door and the windows. That’s the easiest way to get a cutting template. It might be slightly inaccurate because of the angle the picture was taken from, but in this case it does not really matter. So here is the cutting template.

[Image: m51.jpg]

Using (non permanent) adhesive spray, I glue a printout of my drawing to a sheet of .060 "styrene. Then I start cutting the openings of the windows and doors. I rather cut them a bit too small, which will allow me to fix small inaccuracies later.

[Image: m52.jpg]

After the openings are done, I cut the wall from the sheet.

[Image: m53.jpg]

Usually not all sides of the openings come out perfectly straight after cutting them out. Using a scalpel, I fix that now. With a scalpel you can cut off very thin slices, so that even very small inaccuracies can be fixed. I prefer doing that with a scalpel instead of a file, because using a file will make it difficult to keep the sides of the opening perfectly straight.

[Image: m54.jpg]

After sanding the front side of the wall, it is ready for the real fun to begin – adding details.
Kurt

Messages In This Thread