The Modesto & Empire Traction Company Layout Trackplan
MasonJar Wrote:If you are going to permanently attach the buildings, you cannot store them on racks 1" to 2" apart. So what I suggest is that you pair the modules, and bolt them face-to-face (i.e. top to top) using "carry plates" to provide the required gap to avoid damage. See <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.railwaybob.com/Modules/ModConstr/Carryplates01.htm">http://www.railwaybob.com/Modules/ModCo ... ates01.htm</a><!-- m --> for a picture.

I would only be permanently attaching the buildings on the layout part of the plan, all the modules would have removable buildings and separate storage for them, thus allowing me to stack them closer together and saving room to allow more modules stacked per storage unit. Thanks for the link, ill have to save this in my bookmarks to re-read on it later Misngth

MasonJar Wrote:I would also suggest that a 2x8 foot module is not really manageable on your own. Even if you can construct it light enough to lift, the size of it will be awkward, especially in a basement or through doors where space may be limited. Split this size into two 2x4 footers.

Looking at your plant though, you may be able to do some narrower modules too, like 18"x4, while expanding some others (like the yard) to maybe 30" x 4 or 6.

I agree with you, just because i have a couple modules that are this large doesnt mean i plan on making any of the M&ET modules this large. Like i said, im going to try and stick with a maximum of 2'x6' for each module... This is a manageable size for me and i can comfortably move them around. The yard and all the other modules that are larger then this in the plan i am going to make part of the layout section of the plan. If i can do this, i could eliminate the need for larger modules and stick to 2x'6 for the modules.

There are a few modules that are 18" x 6' as well. I would like to do a few of these, and if i do them, they will mainly be the ones on the left side of the plan...

I also have the perfect spot for the helix to come in and connect lower and upper decks. Its on the far right of the plan on the track that leads to the lower modules on the right side of the plan. Instead of these tracks going down to the modules like in the plan, they will go into the helix and drop down to the lower levels... Im still working on the plan, havnt had hardly any time to work on it, so pics of the revised double deck plan to come soon Misngth
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World

Messages In This Thread