The Modesto & Empire Traction Company Layout Trackplan
ocalicreek Wrote:Russ has a good memory! ( But not that good...it was 14" wide by 5' long Wink ) Also, it could maybe possibly use a GP-9, but not very easily. The run-around section will hold a small switcher OR a 40' car comfortably, but not both. It will take a tiny switcher (I use an MDC 'Critter' now) and a short car, like a 2-bay hopper or 30' flat and knowing this is certainly part of the fun of the work.

That sounds like a pretty neat little layout from what you and Russ explained, but i dont know if i could have as much fun with it as you did. I dont know why, but i dont do well with small operations and small layouts with limited options and rolling stock length. I like to have lots of space and switching opportunities, while at the same time providing a challenge trying to switch several industries at the same time LOL

ocalicreek Wrote:Are there a couple or three sections of the planned mega-layout that you can build now to test out your skills and ideas? I'm not a big fan of David Barrow's domino sections for many reasons, but that's just me. However, they are a great proving ground for switching like you are proposing and I believe his construction technique (and the benefit of his mistakes, i.e., learning) is well outlined in the hobby press.

This has come up a few times. Ill have to see what area i could start on first after i do the revisions and make it a double deck layout. I do have a spot in mind, but i also would like to do start with a couple other locations on the plan, i guess it would all come down to what industries i would wanna scratch build the most Misngth Im trying to decide between the Versa Cold Logistics Modules or the Georgia Pacific Modules with the small yard... lol I have alot of interest in both of those sections.
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World

Messages In This Thread