Help with HO Scale Helix design
Trucklover Wrote:Thanks Andrew Misngth

Can you help me with the new measurements here? Im horrible with math, and just looking at the formulas you posted is giving me a headache 35 Wallbang LOL

10" between the levels would not be enough, i know that for sure now LOL, im thinking 14" should be the minimum and that should be enough room. I also want to add some light strips under the top level for the lower level, so if im going to do that then maybe i should have 16" between the levels, making the total rise 20" right?

so new numbers LOL

20" between the 2 levels.
lets do 28" on the outside track and 24" on the inside track, that should make it a little better then 22 and 24"
4" between the levels on the helix

I think thats it right? I really appreciate all the help ive gotten on this, im saving all this info for when the time comes to bang this out!! Misngth The more ive been thinking about it, i think i just wanna have a helix custom built for me, it would save me alot of headaches LOL. I can do benchwork, but im not sure i wanna jump into helix construction lol

New numbers

Circumference = pi x diameter OR pi x 2 x radius

3.14 x 2 x 24 = 150" or 12.5 feet per complete turn for the inner radius AND
3.14 x 2 x 28 = 176" or 14.7 feet per complete turn for the outer radius

So that's ~27.5 feet of track for each turn the radius makes.

Grade% = rise / run x 100%
4"/150" x 100 = 2.6% on the inner
4"/176" x 100 = 2.3% on the outer (see, it's lower...! Wink )

Now going up 20" using a 4" climb with every turn requires 5 turns. However, you need to have a 1/2 turn to come out going in the opposite direction that you went in (so your helix can be in a corner or at one end of the layout).

5.5 x 27.5 feet per turn = 151+ feet of helix track. Note that this will raise you a total of 22 inches (18 inches between the decks).

Is the train elevator looking like a more reasonable solution...? Wink Big Grin

By the way, building the upper deck with 3/4" ply ripped to 4" wide will give you a deck thickness of 4", as the 2" foam is recessed inside. This also gives you a couple of inches to hide the lighting, wiring, switch machines, and whatever else you need under the deck.

Andrew

Messages In This Thread