Traction Tires for Diesels and Electrics?
My Bachmann Plus 4-8-4 could pull around 2 cars up a slight grade. I then clipped the springs on the trailing a lead trucks...and it suddenly gained the ability to pull 13 passenger cars up a slight grade. Our models are just like the real thing...factor of adhesion. Weight on drivers is important...a poorly balanced locomotive isn't putting all of its weight on the drivers in an even manner. Diesels have all their weight on their drivers. Another component of the FoA is the adhesion between the wheels and rail. Steel rail and steel wheels are the best for adhesion...and worst for conductivity. A traction tire dramatically improves the adhesion...but increases maintenance. I don't buy the electrical conductivity argument unless it is a really small locomotive or few axles pick up power.

I think of traction tires as being something used on expensive steam locomotives. Diesels have the advantage of being easier to load up with weight...so only a cheap manufacturer would use them. Doesn't P2K offer locomotives with traction tires? I tend to recall that they didn't pull so well in their first couple issues, so they added traction tires. MTH's K-4 came with both. The Athearn Gensis steam needed either traction tires or more weight.

Traction tires seem to elicit strong responses for and against. I don't care. Either way...just make help it pull. There are many pictures of a little Rio Grande 2-8-0 pulling 30 freight cars on level track...yet such a locomotive could only pull around 4 up a 4% grade.

If your diesel/electric can handle more weight, try that first. You'd need to use a lathe to add traction tires to a model that isn't designed for them...as the traction tire needs to have a groove to keep it from falling off (and having one axle sit a scale 2" higher than the others).

The real downside to traction tires is that they prevent your locomotive from slipping when is should. You need to be careful that it doesn't stall if you add a traction tire...or else your motor is toast.
Michael
My primary goal is a large Oahu Railway layout in On3
My secondary interests are modeling the Denver, South Park, & Pacific in On3 and NKP in HO
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/">http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/</a><!-- m -->

Messages In This Thread