"New modules"
I took the marine railway car down to the module, and brought the "Pilot Schooner" model just to see how it looked.
Eek Eek WAY TOO BIG !! :o :o
Nope that schooner is not going to get work done in that boatyard.!

So !!
I had built a small scale "Cutty Sark" kit, as an "N" scale Tern. ( three mast schooner ), but never had a place to display it.
It is now the beginning of a 57' Two mast schooner in HO scale. It is also a test project for a later build of the Aurora "Whale Ship Wanderer".
Test project ? you ask? Yes. for a long time now I've had the idea of building "Wanderer" ( a plastic kit ), with a slight modification. I intend to cut the hull at the waterline, Attach a sheet of styrene to the bottom part, and another to the "above the waterline" part, so the model could be displayed, full hull, and also go on the module as a waterline model.
With this new schooner, I have completed the cut, and sheet adding, and now have to figure out how to build a secure, but easily separated hull.
The photos are of the marine railway cars, on a mockup , the winch used to move the cars, and the new schooner posed on the cars, as a full hull model.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Slightly higher angle shot shows the widened hull, the lower( below the waterline ) hull started out as a block of Balsa, I still may do a bit more "shaping" of that.
Most of the deck beams are in, and it won't be too long before I start planking the deck. That, however will have to wait until I figure out a way to temporarily join the two parts of the hull.
This angle also shows the "cars" and the winch a little better.
At 57' ( Length between perpendiculars, or "hull length", She'll be close to 80' LOA, once the main boom is added, and counting the bowsprit ) there's JUST enough "navigation space" to get her lined up with the railway, and still be safe ( OK safe, but only barely, she has to swing way too close to the rolling lift bridge for
The yard owner's, and the bridge tender's comfort, but it is possible ).
When done, this schooner, and the 66' Luxury Yacht will share display time on the railway, and the Schooner can tie up pier side, while the yacht is hauled out.

We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!

Messages In This Thread