"New modules"
Sumpter250 Wrote:and last, a zoom in on the rolling lift bridge....this one an old Heljan kit (one of many, as the tool went from one company to another)
[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

All of the model work depicted in this thread is incredibly well done ... almost intimidating, to be truthful! Worship

The boats are beautiful, there is no doubt ... but my question has to do with the lowly Heljan Rolling Lift Bridge. :o :oops:

I have the AHM version of this kit (at least it appears from where I sit to be the same kit) and I was just wondering if you have installed it in a fixed, stationary position, as a manually repositionable bridge, which may be moved to the open position for photography, or if you went "all the way" ( 8-) ) and used the honky little motor that was available to make the bridge truely operational. Initially I had assumed that it was a fixed, stationary bridge, but not wanting to be too presumptuous, I thought I would ask.

As I said, I have the old AHM version that has the goofy-looking base with the funky little pilings for it to perch on. My intention is to build it up as a manually repositionable bridge that could be repositioned to the open condition for photography. The proposed location is on a removeable section of the railroad which will join the main body of the layout (in 1/2 of my Living Room) with the stub-end terminal of Weissport, Penna. (along one wall of the other half.) My plan is to use the removeable section to model the Lehigh River and not "waste" valuable real estate on "locale supporting scenery" when it will be needed for industry and trackwork. So the use of the AHM bridge and possibly adding another of the many unbuilt kits in my inventory, the Campbell Howe Truss Bridge, which is a handsome model ... but then I wonder about mixing a wood truss with a steel rolling lift bridge ... and how prototypical that might be. I suppose it could be justified as part one of an ongoing facility upgrade, but ... :?: :arrow: :?

What do you think? And really, I don't mean to hijack your thread ... I'll take this to its own thread if that would be better.

Hmmm ... I'm not sure what happened to the reference photos. :? :oops:
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln

Messages In This Thread